Microsoft HoloLens is a mixed reality (MR) headset that provides a virtual environment where a user can experience a combination of the real world and virtual world through a transparent glass. The gadget is not producing any 3D images in the real world. Instead, it is only showing 3D models along with the real world to the person who is wearing the goggle so that you don’t need to worry about bumping into walls.
History of Microsoft HoloLens
Microsoft HoloLens was first introduced in 2010 as an add on for Microsoft’s Xbox gaming console. It is the head-mounted gadget of windows with a mixed reality system. The device launched with Windows 10 computer operating system, and it can trace from its lineage to Kinect.
Microsoft HoloLens Use Cases
Microsoft HoloLens is build to revolutionize the working environment, and they succeed it. Suppose a worker is not understanding work at a particular level and need an expert help then and there. So HoloLens can connect with an expert to get help remotely. Let’s move on to the next level, the built-in camera, and censors of the headset can detect parts of the working mechanism (if defined early) and suggest the fixes by the computer.
In the study, it is an excellent tool for visual learning. Microsoft HoloLens can simulate 3D models to the students, and they can interact with those models, play with that and learn by experiencing the real looking simulations. A student can see a complete human body’s functionality in front without a dead body or without experimenting with any actual human body, just a simulation by 3D images.
Microsoft HoloLens can also help in space management and decoration. It became hard when you need to decorate an area or managing spaces by moving objects. If you don’t like one way of putting things, have to move that in another position. For nit and clean decoration and space management, HoloLens can simulate objects and help you to manage things by only slight hand movement even before buying those products.
Microsoft HoloLens is a new generation MR headset, and it has several use cases. The gadget supports video calling, and it is not like ordinary video calling, you can see the person standing in front of you and talking to you. Don’t get shocked its true. HoloLens can simulate the person who is wearing the device and transmit to another person’s headset to simulate in front.
If you have a HoloLens, you don’t need a mobile phone or television to watch your favourite Netflix show. You have to open it and stick the bar in your wall by simulating through your hand, and it is done, you can see the show is going on in your bedroom wall.
Do you like to play games! You are going to love this use case. Microsoft HoloLens has built-in support for 3D gaming. Boring at home start a fighting game and get ready to shoot your enemies by your finger. They are going to attack you from multiple directions, coming from your wall and breaking everything in your room. But wait, everything is a simulation. It would help if you considered yourself as a real object or nothing is safe in your place.
Microsoft HoloLens 2 Specifications
- Remote Assist
- 3D Viewer
- Windows Holographic OS
- OneDrive for Business
- Battery Life: 2-3 hours of active use
- Charging: USB Power Delivery – Fast Charging
- Thermals: Passively Cooled
- Resolution: 2k 3:2 light engines
- Optics: See-through holographic lenses (waveguides)
- Eye-based Rendering: Display optimization for 3D eye position
- Holographic Density: >2.5k radiants (light points per radian)
Compute & Connectivity
- SoC: Qualcomm Snapdragon 850 Compute Platform
- HPU: 2nd Generation Custom-built Holographic Processing Unit
- WiFi: 802.11ac 2×2
- USB: USB Type-C
- Bluetooth: 5.0
Audio & Sensors
- Camera: 8MP stills, 1080p 30 video
- Speakers: Built-in, Spatial Audio
- Depth: Azure Kinect sensor
- IMU: Accelerometer, Gyroscope, Magnetometer
- Microphone Array: 5 channels
- Eye Tracking: Real-time tracking
- Hand Tracking: Two-handed fully articulated model, direct manipulation
- Voice: Command and control on-device, Natural Language with internet connectivity
- 6DoF Tracking: World-scale positional tracking
- Spatial Mapping: Real-time environment mesh
- Mixed Reality Capture: Mixed hologram and physical environment photos and videos
- Single size Fits over glasses, size using adjustment dial
Interested in new Inventions! Checkout Inventions Catagory.Share